Monday, May 19, 2008

Mission Impossible

I feel like I'm in a chapter of the Three Bears.

... SOMEone has been eating our parsley.
... SomeONE has been eating our dill.
... Someone HAS been eating our African daisies.
... Someone has BEEN eating our zinnias.
... Someone has been EATING the leaves from our red plum tree.
... Someone has been eating OUR petunias.
... Someone has been eating our PLANTS!


(cue music: Mission Impossible theme)

Dear groundhogs
residing under our deck and side porch,

This is not your home; you do not belong here. I preferred the raccoons, possums, and rabbit to your presence. You really do not want to mess with my dear husband; the last time he was on pest control patrol, a raccoon spent three days in jail with only water (the racoon ran away never to be seen again). So, consider this an eviction notice: you are to vacate the premises immediately. You shall be vanquished!

Sincerely,
Your Hostess, Co-Landowner, & Resident Gardener


(sigh)

In the meantime, I have been researching groundhog pest control. This post by a fellow blogger is tops so far... if only for the last paragraph!

When I lived on a farm, dad trapped them and then shot them. I'm sorry PETA people; it was our dinner or theirs... and we won. But within city limits we can't shoot them, can't trap and release them elsewhere, can't drown them. Unfortunately, groundhogs don't eat powdered cement mixed with grain, then drink from the water bowl beside them like the rats in the winter on our farm (this combination really STOPS them up). They don't explode from drinking soda pop, like rats on the farm. They don't fall into a 55 gallon barrel, and drown like rats on the farm. And, we are NOT getting a dog; five cats are plenty in the pet department for us.

So, the only solution is expensive: Varment-Guard.

In the meantime, I'm ready to set up camp in the backyard and spray them (we have two) with a high pressure washer every time they poke their heads out and threaten the existence of my plants!

I apologize for complaining and commandeering the blog, but...
Does anyone have any helpful, useful, workable ideas?

Thanks, B--

P.s. Thanks to the Pennsylvania Game Commission's public photo gallery for their photography assistance.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Ok, this is is a funny post. I have a suggestion though. Go to a Barber shop and ask for their cut hair. (I have gone there in the beginning of their workday and had asked them to save a bag full for me). I know, this may sound so weird but it totally works... Scatter the hair around your flower beds. The scent of humans (well, their hair) will discourage little pests from eating your plants. Hope this helps.

Judy said...

oh, they will eat that Wild Ginger that I gave to you too!

KarlandBethany said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I have heard about using human hair, but never for groundhogs. It makes sense though. Guess we'll be calling Jeremy "Nick" @ Longview Barbershop for some help!

Truthfully, the spot I had saved for the wild ginger turns out to be right outside the "hog haven"! I haven't planted the WG yet; think it will go in a hanging pot or window box for the time being... at least, until the critters are banished.

BTW, Karl heard that they hate sound. He wants to hook up a sound system on the deck and blast them out! (sigh) Your idea will be tried FIRST! ;-)

KarlandBethany said...

I feel like a traitor.

To keep these groundhogs from eating my plants, I am keeping the birdfeeders (& the ground under the birdfeeders) filled with sunflower seeds. It seems that when other food is available, less of our plants disappear. So until K decides how we'll handle the situation, I am FEEDING them.

(ugh)