Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Just Throwin' This Out There.....

I've been thinking of the topic of hybrid vs. heirloom seeds. I often wondered what the effect of all the genetic engineering on our seeds has done to our health. I understand "hybrid" to mean they've genetically crossed the seeds somehow to make the plants more disease resistant (and tasteless I might add), but you cannot take the seeds produced from that vegetable to perpetuate more plants. I understand "heirloom" to be seeds you can propagate from what is grown. Is this right?

That said, I'd love to learn how to propagate seeds from what I've grown...you know....taking a tomato and saving the seeds for the following spring to start and plant.

How about it....any thoughts out there?
Alisa

2 comments:

maureen said...

i'm not sure the technical answer to your question- but the documentary "the future of food" addresses some of these concerns/points.

KarlandBethany said...

Seeds- I just save some seeds, dry them on a cookie sheet, bag them in a paper bag or envelope, write what it is & the date on the envelope, then plant it the next year.